Who is eligible to join the (VAAA)? Traditional and Contemporary Abenaki Artists must be enrolled in one of the four State Recognized Abenaki Tribes – Elnu, Koasek, Missisquoi or Nulhegan.
What are the benefits to belonging to VAAA? VAAA is the official artist registry for Vermont’s recognized Abenaki Tribe’s. It is a tool that we can use to promote our visual and performing artists. Members of the Association will be listed on the artist registry, have a personal webpage page and can submit events and shows to our calendar.
Are there any restrictions for VAAA membership?
- You must create your own finished product. No craft kits.
- No mass produced products. Approved crafts people and artists will be added as they are approved.
- Although artists make make multiples of an item such as ornaments or earrings, each item must be handcrafted individually.
- If you are turned down, you can reapply.
- ALL items for sale by must be tagged in compliance with the INDIAN ARTS AND CRAFTS LAW. No exceptions.
- Artists must abide by VAAA membership terms and conditions.
How to request a VAAA membership application? Email email@example.com to request a membership form. Please provide your name, contact information, Abenaki Tribal affiliation, and Tribal ID number. After your status as a citizen, in a state recognized Abenaki tribe, is confirmed we will send you a membership application packet with more details and directions.
Please prepare to have good quality photos of your craft/art, and artist statement and biographical information about you as an artist, such as how you learned what you do and where you may have exhibited it.
Who is responsible for jurying new VAAA artists? The VAAA jury is comprised of fours artists, one from each recognized Abenaki Tribe. Two have degrees in fine art, and two are traditional artists. Master Artists and Consultants are also called upon to help jury art within their area of expertise. When a VAAA committee member applies to be juried or is nominated for an award, they must recuse themselves from voting, and a consultant is appointed in their place.
How can I apply to be rejuried into a new catagory or artistry group?
Submit a letter describing your request with 3 to 5 high resolution images of your work an updated artist statement. Email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org